Teaching and Learning Text Mining with Geographic Analysis in TDM Studio Online
Many places have the same name as other places—We can think, for example, of placenames like Springfield or London or Main Street which cover dozens (or hundreds?) or different locations. In this 1-hour workshop, we will use TDM Studio to explore the geographic distribution of placenames in different datasets. You will have the opportunity to create a dataset related to your research project. We will then plot the geocoded locations in the dataset on a map and discuss—Which ones does the geocoding algorithm get right What are the mistakes and what can we learn from these mistakes? No previous text mining or coding experience is needed for this workshop. We will also look briefly at a Python implementation of the geocoding algorithm—This will let us discuss other options and the pros and cons of different approaches to the task.
Related workshops in this series include:
Related LibGuide: Text and Data Mining with TDM Studio by Sarah Young
- Monday, November 13, 2023
- 10:00am - 11:00am
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- Virtual Workshop
- This is a virtual event. A URL to participate will be sent via a reminder email 24 hours before the event.
Virtual Workshop Information:
- The link to join this event will be found in your reminder email 24 hours before the event.
- Please join a few minutes early to ensure that your audio setup is working correctly.
- All events are shown in Pittsburgh time. Visit this time zone converter to see when this event will take place in your time zone.
Workshops and events for Carnegie Mellon University Libraries are open to all, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, ancestry, belief, veteran status or genetic information. All participants are required to follow the Code of Conduct.
If you require accessibility accommodations, please contact the event organizer.